Best Anti-Bloat Smoothie
Make this anti-bloat smoothie whenever you need a gut reset or to give your GI tract a break! It’s packed with nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, potassium, healthy fats, and electrolytes. Your tummy will thank you.
What causes bloating?
Bloating can have so may different causes. Some of the most common include food sensitivities, eating too quickly or overeating, swelling excess air, or over-indulging in high sodium-foods, which can retain water. Underlying causes may include IBS or SIBO. Whenever I’m have a gut flair up, I make this nourishing and satiating smoothie help decrease the bloating and get my digestion back on track.
What foods help with gas and bloating?
Download my free anti-bloat guide HERE. In general you want to be sure and drink plenty of water and eat potassium rich foods like bananas and avocados to help regulate the sodium in your body. Probiotic rich foods like yogurt and kefir may also help sooth tummy troubles; however, if you have a dairy intolerance consider coconut or almond yogurt. Stay clear of carbonated beverages which increase bloating and gas (yes even sparkling water)!
Digestive Benefits of this anti-bloat smoothie.
These ingredients will boost your digestion! Here are just a few of the many benefits::
- Papaya: contain an enzyme called papain that aids digestion; contains fiber and a high water content
- Pineapple: only known food source of bromelain, an enzyme that digests protein; also high in fiber and water content
- Kiwi: studies show that two kiwis per day can alleviate constipation because of the enzyme actinidin that it contains
- White Sweet Potato: adds extra fiber plus contains more potassium than orange sweet potatoes!
Is It Safe To Eat Kiwi Skins?
You bet! don’t be scared of the furry skin, that brown goodness has a higher concentration of antioxidants than the green pulp. Unlike the pulp which contains soluble fiber (also wonderful for your gut), the skin contains insoluble fiber which adds bulk to your poops. So it sweeps out your intestines! Neat right?
Best Anti-Bloat Smoothie
- 1 Good Blender
- 1/2 cup frozen papaya chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 kiwi, chopped leave the brown skin on!
- 1/2 cup frozen white sweet potato, pre-cooked and skinned
- 1/2 cup frozen cucumber
- 1/2 cup frozen kale or spinach
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop protein powder optional, I used unsweetened pea protein powder
- fresh blueberries
- homemade granola
- Blend smoothie ingredients together and top with toppings of choice! You may need more liquid, depending on thickness presence and power of blender. Enjoy slowly with your favorite book!
- If you can’t find white sweet potatoes you can sub frozen banana
- Add fresh or powdered ginger for an extra pungent flavor
- Ginger can also help alleviate nausea and gas
- You can also use flax seed instead of chia seeds for another source of fatty acids!